- Location: Greater London Area
- Salary: £12 per hour
- Job Type: Part Time, around 10 hrs per week
About London Autism Group
At London Autism Group Charity, we offer a wide range of targeted and needed support to the London Autistic Community. Our remit is London, and the surrounding counties.
Our goal is simple: to help autistic individuals and their caregivers. We offer both mental health support and practical assistance, making sure that everyone in our community feels cared for and empowered.
We are looking for a Community Outreach Social Support Officer to help us make a positive change in the lives of autistic individuals, in and around London. Together, we can build a more understanding and supportive society for everyone.
What we are looking for:
As the Community Outreach Social Support Officer, your role will be truly impactful, offering your time and compassion to isolated Autistic individuals. By dedicating just a few hours each week, you can make a significant difference in their lives and become a crucial part of our Befriending Service.
Your support and friendship will mean the world to these individuals, providing them with the knowledge that they are accepted and not alone. This sense of belonging can have a profound effect on their mental health and overall wellbeing. Your mission will be to spread the message of inclusion and belonging within the wider Autistic Community.
Knowledge of Neurodiversity, Mental Health and Autistic advocacy would be an advantage, but not essential.
Due to the high percentage of individuals supported by the befriending service in their own homes being female, preference will be given to female applicants.
What you will be involved in:
- Exchange messages through email or text with autistic adults to understand their experiences and provide a listening ear.
- Arrange virtual or in person meetings with the individual.
- For all initial in person meetings, you will be accompanied by another member of the London Autism Group Charity team.
- Conduct in person meetings – this could be at in a persons home, cafe or park for example
- Coordinate with the charity to understand the individual and the best approach to take forward.
- Provide tailored and user centric support to that individual, by being empathetic and understanding.
You should apply if:
- You have previous voluntary or paid experience in a befriending service, social care or similar experience
- You have genuine compassion for the autistic community, and understand how they can thrive when given the right support
- You have digital skills, and can use email, text and facebook messenger
- You are confident in travelling to new areas
- You’re empathetic, caring and a great listener
Why work for the London Autism Group Charity?
- We offer flexible working hours.
- We are a close knit team of people with lived, and personal experiences of neurodiversity.
- £12 per hour, with 10 hours or more offered per week.
- The role will be based in and around Greater London.
- At times, you may need to support individuals in their local community. If so, travel expenses will be reimbursed if you need to travel to the individual.
- A DBS check will be required and will be process by the London Autism Group Charity once you accept the role.
NEW TO ENNA?
Click ‘Apply Now’ below and one of the Enna team will be in contact within 24 hours
If you are already registered with us and want to apply, please email email@example.com
Please note: You will also require a cover letter to accompany your application.
We will review applications on a rolling basis, but applications will close on the 15th December
Please enable the bookmarks plugin to activate this feature.
Apply For job
To apply for this job please visit enna.org.